25 of the most pointless single-use plastic items04 Jul 2019
So you may have seen us on Bondi beach protesting all of the toilet paper brands in supermarkets packaging rolls in single-use plastic? One of the reasons we wanted to highlight this one item is the total pointlessness of it, and it was fun. Sign the petition here
The toilet rolls was just one of those crazy things that shoppers have been trained into expecting, the more caring among us taking the wrap to soft recycling bins at supermarkets. Though of course we are now not all that confident that the recycling is actually happening.
With estimates that 40% of plastic in the environment is actually single-use we must ask ourselves how much of this stuff is near pointless?
My answer to that would be “just about all of it”.
Let’s create a list and feel free to add comments or point out things I’ve missed.
1. Toilet paper wrapping – Protecting it from the elements?
2. Straws – Using them to drink from a bottle or can #pointless
3. Buying water – rip off!
4. Take away coffee – Buying a piccolo or espresso in a takeaway are my favourite examples of craziness
5. Single-use coffee cups with lids for those who sit in the café or just outside and drink, espresso & piccolo drinkers take note
6. Balloons – Is it still the 80’s? And even if they do degrade eventually they have probably already killed something
7. Wrapped bananas – I often wonder if people choosing this option are embarrassed? Another odd couple garlic or mushrooms wrapped in plastic – This is kind of planned obsolescence to make your produce go off just a little faster
8. Junk food - chocolates chips, biscuits and sweets with a lot of packaging and sugar. Besides home made stuff is way better.
9. Chopped up onions, mandarin, carrot, capsicum, apples etc etc – Being too lazy to breath is next you know.
10. Cling wrapped suitcases – Paranoia!
11. Nails, screws, washers, hooks and various hardware items in plastic – What was wrong with a box?
12. Satchels of shampoo, conditioner & detergent – One of the most wasteful ways to rip off communities by some of the world’s biggest companies
13. Individually wrapped candy - #mentos Once upon a time we were able to eat candy from a paper bag and sometimes they were stuck together
14. Dwarf packs of tic tacs – A middle finger raised at our planet
15. Fast food served in plastic even for dine in – “we don’t do the dishes, we just create waste”
16. Party style cutlery in work places – Really? A staff room or workshop could easily ditch all single-use in a flash
17. Individually wrapped toothpicks, straws and cutlery – Protection from what? Dust
18. Cotton buds / Q-tips – They always make it to the beach.
19. Fishing bait bags – Give someone single-use plastic to take to the ocean, hmmm
20. Plastic shopping bags especially for 1 bottle of milk or 1 apple or even 2 chocolate bars. We have hands
21. Those annoying wrappers that you find everywhere to protect cigarette packets. Why?
22. Shrink wrapped lemons, sweet potato and others – wow, out of our minds!
23. Preserved poo – Its organic and we pick up after our dog and store it in plastic to make it last. Nuts!
24. Any sort of drink in a plastic cup – Why is it so hard to to drink from a glass?
25. Bin liners - I just put it here because there seems to be a lot of stress about bin liners. If you compost and dont buy all the stuff above you might not need a bin.
So there you go. We could probably get to 100 without too much effort, though choosing from this list may just make your plastic free July a little easier if you were struggling to know where to start.
Paul Hellier – Founder
22 Top Tips for this Plastic Free July10 Jul 2019 | Read More >
This Plastic Free July, the Peloton Against Plastic will round out the month with the official launch of the film July 31 around the world. This article on how to get started on your plastic free journey was popular when it came out so we thought we'd run it again. Have a dabble with a few little...
6 Ways to Travel Without Buying Water.18 Jul 2019 | Read More >
350 million plastic water bottles are used globally each day ...that's right! ..... THREE HUNDRED AND FIFTY...MILLION! ... A DAY! That's a lot of plastic! And at a decomposition rate of 700 years or so per bottle, that's not good for our planet, to put it mildly. What can you do about it? Well,...
Dianna Cohen - Moving Toward a Plastic-Free World - Pt 106 Jan 2017 | Read More >
On a recent trip to North America, I decided to drop an email to one of my favourite organisations, The Plastic Pollution Coalition (PPC). To my delight there was a quick response . Within days their CEO and inspiring co-founder, Dianna Cohen graciously set up a meeting with me . We met a few...
A Chat with Costa Part I - The Aperture of Life02 Jun 2016 | Read More >
He is arguably the most popular and enthusiastic of all hosts of ABC's Gardening Australia program. You will see him around in a number of aliases, having a good time. Regardless, the one thing that always comes with a Costa Georgiadis appearance is a contagious positivity and your sudden...
Owed to Moose28 Jul 2016 | Read More >
This one is for me, its for my best mate Moose and I! I haven’t seen him yet, I’m in the air, somewhere over NSW, but I know he isn’t there anymore. The big black, laid back, super calm shadow of me, for twelve years is no longer there. For twelve years he has followed me absolutely everywhere. If...